Wednesday 15 April 2009

HILLSBOROUGH 1989

I just thought that I would mention that it is 20 years since football's worst disaster when 96 Liverpool fans were killed.
The FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest was just two and a half minutes old when police opened a gate that created a surge of fans. In those days and because of hooliganism fans were fenced in. So when the surge began there was no where else for the fans at the front to go. They tried to climb the fence but police tried to beat them back.
The face of football changed after this disaster. The fences went and hooliganism faded away and it is a different game today.
I'm just sad that it took the lives of 96 people to acheive that.
In memory of the 96.

2 comments:

  1. I remember that tragic day. Hard to believe its been twenty years already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember it as well. Two of my friends were at the Forest end and they were very traumatised. You might want to take a look at this video tribute on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xxHIPZv39U It's very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete